The summer is a great time to get moving and active. Try to get moving for at least 30 minutes each day and have your children move for at least 60 minutes on most days. Staying active can be fun and fit into your daily routine. It doesn’t mean that you have to go to the gym or jump on a treadmill. Here are some fun ways to make saying active fun for your entire family. If you have ways that you stay active with your family please feel free to share them on the NutritionWise Facebook page (www.facebook.com/NutritionWise).
• Play hopscotch
• Go fruit picking or visit a farmer’s market
• Work in a garden (either your own or a community garden)
• Visit the beach… look for sea shells, make a sand castle, play football or volleyball
• Plan a “wash day”- tricycles, scooters, outdoor toys, etc. It’s a great way to be productive and stay cool!
• Go on a nature hike- look for flowers, rocks, butterflies, birds and other amazing things.
Summer Safety Tips:
It’s always important to be aware of some specific safety tips for summer activity. Since it is usually very hot (and humid, depending on what part of the country you live in), make sure to stay hydrated, because you lose your body’s water in the form of sweat, even if you are swimming! Protect your child’s skin and your skin with a broad spectrum sunscreen (UVA/UVB) and wear a hat, even if it’s cloudy. Make sure their equipment is safe- tricycles, playground, etc. Never take eyes off if they are in or near a body of water.