Friday, June 26, 2009

My Very Own Vegetable Garden...who would have thought?

To let you know a little bit about me, I am actually a city girl, through and through (at least that is what I thought!). I was born and raised in New York City and moved out to Los Angeles after going to College at the University of Michigan (I had to defrost... if you have ever spent a winter in the Midwest, you know what I am talking about).

So, to make a very long story short, my family recently moved into a new house and decided to take one of our side yards and turn it into a vegetable garden. We really had no idea what we were getting ourselves into! We have always had potted tomatoes and grown strawberries, citrus trees, etc. We have now taken it to another level and I am loving it! I have always known that when a child sees a plant grow from the seed to the vegetable, that they are more likely to eat it, and now I know this is really true. My little boy who is a very good eater, has now tasted salad (he's 4, and had always refused lettuce for some reason) among other veggies that are starting to come in. Not to mention, the home grown veggies taste much better!

If you are looking for some stress relief, a good way to grow delicious organic vegetables/herbs and to have fun with your kids outside... planting a vegetable garden is for you! You don't have to do anything huge, in fact start small so that you can learn the ropes. I am still learning so much from reading blogs, magazines, books, etc. I will keep you posted on how my veggies turn out (my yellow squash are just about ready and here is the list of what we have planted but are not sure what is going to happen: onions, carrots, broccoli, peas, pumpkin, butternut squash, zucchini, watermelon, corn, hot peppers, an herb garden, and tomatoes.)

This is a great blog to get started... happy gardening! Nicole.

http://www.garden.org/articles/articles.php?q=show&id=3146

No comments:

Post a Comment